When I tried to run a huge fortran code (the code is compiled using intel compiler version 13.1.3.192), it gave me error message like this:

Info[FDFI_Setup]: HPDF code version number is  1.00246
forrtl: severe (153): allocatable array or pointer is not allocated
Image              PC                Routine            Line        Source
arts               0000000002AD96BE  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown
arts               0000000002AD8156  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown
arts               0000000002A87532  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown

Nonetheless, if I insert a small write-statement (which is just to check the code, not to disturb the original purpose of the code) in one of the subroutines as the following (I couldn't put all the codes since they are too huge):

endif
    call GetInputLine(Unit,line,eof,err)
  enddo

if(err) return

! - [elfsummer] 20140815 Checkpoint 23
  open(unit = 1, file = '/bin/monitor/log_checkpoint',status='old',position='append')
  write(1,*) "BEFORE checking required keys: so far so good!"
  close(1)

! check required keys
  ! for modes = 2,3, P and T are the required keys
  if(StrmDat%ModeCI==2.or.StrmDat%ModeCI==3) then

then suddenly, the error message shown above disappears and the code can run correctly! I also tried to insert such write statements in other locations in the source code but the above error message still exists.

According tohttps://software.intel.com/sites/products/documentation/hpc/composerxe/en-us/2011Update/fortran/lin/bldaps_for/common/bldaps_rterrs.htm:

severe (153): Allocatable array or pointer is not allocated FOR$IOS_INVDEALLOC. A Fortran 90 allocatable array or pointer must already be allocated when you attempt to deallocate it. You must allocate the array or pointer before it can again be deallocated. Note: This error can be returned by STAT in a DEALLOCATE statement.

However, I couldn't see any relations between the error and the "write statements" I added to the code. There is no such "allocate" command in the location I add the write statements.

So I am quite confused. Does anybody know the reasons? Any help is greatly appreciated!!